What is Database?
Before we learn about database , let’s understand – What is Data?
In simple words data can be facts related to any object. For example your name, age, height, weight, color etc are some data related to you. A picture, image, file etc can also be considered data.
Database is a systematic collection of data. Databases support manipulation and storage of data. Databases make data management easy.
We can also say that Data is organized into rows, columns and tables, and it is sequentially to make it easier to find relevant information. Data gets updated, expanded and deleted as new information is added.
Examples of Database :
- An online telephone directory would definitely use database to store data for people, phone numbers, other contact details like Name, Email etc.
- Electricity service provider is obviously using a database to manage billing, client related issues, to handle fault data, payment etc.
- Let’s also consider the facebook & whatsapp. It needs to store, manipulate and present data related to members, their friends, member activities, messages, advertisements and lot more.
We can provide countless number of examples for usage of databases. Now Let’s understand Database Management System.
What is a Database Management System (DBMS)?
- After understanding what is Database now how to handle these all Databaes so, DBMS are there.
- Database Management System (DBMS) is a collection of programs which enables its users to access database, manipulate data, reporting / representation of data.
- It also helps to control access to the particular database.
- Database Management Systems are not a new concept and as such had been first implemented in 1960s. Charles Bachmen’s Integrated Data Store (IDS) is said to be the first DBMS in history. With time database technologies evolved a lot while usage and expected functionalities of databases have been increased strongly.
Types of DBMS
There are four types of DBMS.
- Network DBMS
- Relational DBMS
- Object Oriented Relation DBMS
Go to next : Basics of C Language