Database design is the process of generating a detailed data model of database. This data model contains all the needed logical and physical design and physical storage parameters needed to generate a design in a data definition language (DDL), which can then be used to create a database. A fully attributed data model contains detailed attributes for each entity.
A good designed database gives users access to all information. By following the principles which is given below, you can design a database that performs well and adapts to future needs with all requirements.
The Database Design Process
A good-structured database can saves disk space by eliminating redundant data, it maintains data accuracy and integrity and provides access the data in useful ways.
Designing an efficient, useful databases is a matter of following the proper process, including these phases:
- A Well Requirements analysis, or identifying the purpose of the database
- Organizing information into tables
- Specifying keys and analyzing relationships with information
- Normalizing to standardize the tables for well manage data
The main goal of database designing are to produce logical and physical designs data models of the proposed database system.
- The logical model concentrates on the data requirements (requirement analysis) and the data to be stored independent of physical considerations. It does not concern itself with how the data will be stored or where it will be stored physically.
- The physical data design model will translating the logical design of the database onto physical media using hardware resources and software systems.
Why Database Design is Important ?
- Database designing is too much important for all database system.
- Apart from improving the performance and integrity, properly designed database are easy to maintain, improve data consistency and are cost effective in terms of disk storage space or physical storage .
Go For What is Database?